Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Because We Can

When I started A-Levels, I thought life in college would only consist of lectures and exams. But that changed when I became a member of the A-Levels Student Council. Some of my fondest memories and most valuable experiences in college come from my time on the SC, and I'll really miss it. I was truly lucky to have as colleagues a wonderful and talented group of people whose dedication and diligence made our year a fulfilling one. Most importantly, I'm very grateful that everyone got along great and that by working together I have formed friendships which hopefully will stand the test of time. What I've written below isn't flattery or empty praise, but what I genuinely feel about these people, so they know how much I cherish their friendship.

The President
He was the last person anyone expected to become President. An unknown dude from Ipoh, his lack of campaigning and self-professed unimpressive résumé made him the clear underdog in the presidential race. Yet, his charm, charisma and good humour that shone through his speech won over the crowd and the votes. In hindsight, I can honestly say I’m glad he became president instead of me, because I wouldn’t have been able to do the job and lead the SC as well as he did. He worked tirelessly, sacrificing time, energy and money to ensure every project the SC took on met with success. His affinity for impromptu speeches ensured he was always comfortable onstage and at the rostrum. His friendliness, especially with the management, was a great advantage to the SC as all our activities were quickly and easily given the green light. His stubbornness sometimes grated on our nerves, but it also made him the tough, decisive individual we all know and respect. Overall, I’m truly glad to have served as his vice.

The Secretary
She is the first person I got to know among all the SC members, partly because we started talking while waiting to go for our interviews with the previous SC. As the youngest member of the SC, she often used her age as a defence against bullying by the guys of the SC. This pretty gal did a fantastic job in a post that I know from prior experience is as thankless as it is difficult. She never complained about the workload and kept everything organised. Her efficiency was the reason why paperwork was not a problem for the SC. I’m also indebted to her for being so patient and entertaining my calls and questions whenever I missed a meeting or was unsure about something.

The Assistant Secretary
To be honest, I don’t know this guy as well as some of the other SC members. However, I do know that he dared to be different and was brave enough to break the mould by being the only guy to run for the post of Secretary. He adores foosball, and sometimes we had to physically pry him away from the foosball table to come for SC meetings. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t a hard worker. He didn’t speak much during meetings but he cooperated well with the Secretary and always did the work allocated to him with not so much as a grumble. I only wish I had made more of an effort to know him as a person.

The Treasurer
This soft-spoken young man is a closet poet who put his skills to good use when preparing his election speech. His poem delighted the crowd so much that he eventually won. He takes awhile to open up to people but once he does you’ll find his shy, introverted demeanour belies the fact that he’s as fun and talkative as everyone else. He’s also an opinionated individual who’ll speak up whenever he feels strongly about something. His meticulous way of working ensured that our accounts were always handled properly and the SC money was in good, trustworthy hands. He’s a really nice guy and I’m glad I have him as a friend.

The General Exco
This fellow is one of the greatest posers I’ve ever met, and I mean that in a good way. He photographs well and is great at camwhoring. His job description was never really clear-cut, but he always worked hard at every task and helped out in all aspects of SC work. Things were never too serious with him around and his humorous, fun-loving nature made for good company. Together with the Sports Exco they’d kick up a riot and provide the fun element of our meetings. I’ll probably remember him best for his love for computer gaming, especially Defence of the Ancients. He is truly a likeable chap.

The Social Exco
Tall and hot. These are the words that come to mind when one first looks at this girl. If it weren’t for the SC I probably would never have gotten to know her, especially since she keeps a lot to herself and we didn’t have any common classes until the third semester. But the phrase “Still waters run deep” holds true for her, as she is one intelligent gal. Her perseverance and hardworking nature was an asset to the SC, and was the main reason why the treasure hunt she planned went off without a hitch. She is also a really sweet girl. We get along well and I’m very glad being on the SC gave me the chance to get to know her.


I chose to separate these next two people from the above six because they have a lot in common. They both intended to run for president but never got the chance, one because of a trip to Spain that coincided with the elections, and the other because for some unfathomable reason the previous SC felt she wasn’t a suitable candidate. They got a second chance when our SC was looking to fill two empty posts, and joined our team in February this year. Despite being the last two people to come on board, they were the “glue” that made the SC members bond. In my opinion the seven initial members hadn’t really clicked before, but once these two came along we became a strong, unified group that enabled us to pull off events with success. These two people are also the SC members closest to me, as you may have gathered from my Annual Ball post.

The Sports Exco
He was in the same Chemistry class as me for all 3 semesters of A-Levels but I only really got to know him when he joined the SC. Famed for his oversized ego and smart-ass remarks, he made SC gatherings highly entertaining. His funny antics and affable, easygoing character made him get along easily with not only students and staff at HELP but also people we met during our dealings with the outside world. Without a doubt, if this guy ran for president I wouldn’t have stood a chance, so popular and well liked is he. However, it’s not all fun and games with him. He’s a diligent worker, as shown during the successful dodgeball tournament he organised that was mostly a one-man show. During meetings he’d always participate fully, contributing opinions and ideas. He’s very generous and easy to work with. Now that I know him, I know beneath that sarcastic exterior he’s a genuinely sweet guy.

The Marketing Exco
When I think back on all the time we spent together and the crazy and wonderful experiences we shared, I find it very hard to believe I’ve known her for only 6 months. Our introduction was rather abrupt, as unlike the Sports Exco I totally didn’t know her yet we had to work together. Luckily we clicked, and the rest is history. We get along famously and she helped and supported me a great deal, in SC work as well as other aspects of college life. A true shutterbug and queen camwhore, she spread her camwhoring “virus” to the rest of the SC. She contributed a lot to all our projects, helping out wherever she could and doing things that weren’t part of her job. One of her best traits is that she takes the time and trouble to show appreciation to her friends by writing thank-you notes and personal messages and printing photos for them. She’s creative and fun and an incredible person, and I’m really thankful to have found a friend like her.


The SC (minus Bryan) with the kids of Precious Children and Youth Home

The SC during our Charity Auction which benefited Precious Children and Youth Home (courtesy of Sher)


What happened when the President auctioned off his hair...to the SC! =P


The SC (minus Ivan) and Anusha during our visit to PAWS animal shelter (courtesy of Sher)


The SC with the founder of Phyllis Old Folks' Home. By sheer coincidence everyone wore either blue or white that day =P (courtesy of Sher)


The SC with the A-Levels Department staff members during our farewell lunch at Pizza Hut


The girls of the SC =)


The following images are visually disturbing. The photographer will not be held responsible for psychological problems or nightmares that may result from the viewing of these images. Scroll down at your own risk =P


Speak no evil, see no evil, hear no evil and...do no evil! =D


The dirrty guys of the SC. Oh, the horror =P

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol!
Hey, I didn't know you were in the SC, though I'm glad you enjoyed your time there.

Oh and btw, congrats on NOT winding up as secretary again ;P <-- joking

Anonymous said...

Lol...is that all you can say abt me?!?! :p

It was truly a pleasure, MY pleasure working with you and the rest of the other monkeys :)...we probably enjoyed the whole journey as much as you did. I have to agree that everyone worked hard(enough), we cooperated and tolerated each other ;p...but most of all, we made our own history and captured special memories, this I will never forget.

You were more of the quiet side, always giving ur usual stone look followed by ur naturally sweet signature smile. :) You were never at peace with our preparations of events as we(the guys) never really took anything seriously until the moment of each event. Haha...the stress u went through, asking questions, chasing and pushing us, making sure we get things done... Fortunately, with both you and sher reen, we were never too worried because somehow with you 2, things work out in the end. Loop holes(big ones if I might add) were always filled. You were the silent arms and legs of the team, not often vocal, yet the suggestions and ideas you contribute were always practical and effective, and somehow...when you speak, you always have this mysterious commanding aura kinda tone..still wonder who you do that..lol

All in all, everyone was special in their own way, you included. Without you, our SC wouldnt be complete, without you, I would have one less SC monkey to make fun of ;p

Sher Reen said...

Jhin dares claim credit for the *cough* "one-man show" dodgeball tournament eh?

LOL to "worked hard (enough)" though what he forgot to point out was your wretched mobile that sometimes drove us into fits of frustration!

SC was a journey I am glad to have travelled. For the record Jhin and I joined at the end of October but we effectively started work only after examinations ended in Jan. Haha just had to point that out.

Likewise I am glad we did become friends, by force..or not. I'm glad we had the crazy stress sessions when we did, everything became part of an amazing memory.

Our paths diverge here, 9 seperate ways, but I know that we are eternally bound by 2+ months of amazing times and hopefully sometime in the future, all our paths meet again. We'd then be able to poke fun once again..who knows? After all I know someone who won't ever grow up.

And thennn we'll see who wins the "I'll go bald first" contest (:


Hope you're well. Speak soon.

Anonymous said...

Lol sher...forgot that tiny little insignificant detail ;p

It was you who made the dodgeball possible :) without a doubt...The posters especially!! haha...

Anonymous said...

About the dodgeball tournament, I said MOSTLY a one-man show =P No doubt you did a helluva job with the posters and promo, Sher. Everyone contributed. I still remember Dipesh duct-taping the a/c vents =P

Ah, wretched is indeed the word for my temperamental mobile. But it still serves me well (enough), so I won't ditch it yet =)

Thank you for your kind words Jhin. I know it must have taken a lot of effort to write something so long and uncharacteristically nice =P

Last but not least, I very much intend to know the result of the balding contest. So Jhin, Dipesh and CY, you guys better keep in touch with me. For your sake, Jhin, I hope you're not the winner =P

jaredwong said...

Omg, i'm so touched! There's a section in your blog for ME!!!
It's like --> VIP treatment. Oh wait!!! I have always been treated so grandly and nicely in the SC! 1st from Sher, now from you! I have a new concept! U and Sher are one piece. The both of u should be thankful. Seriously, i feel the energy and aura when the both of u are near me. ANYWAY, Thanks a bundle to each and everyone of u! It has been a great and fun-filled experience in d SC, one which i would treasure all my life. Treasuring things is what i do best, i guess. Take Care! Adious!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

Ivan said...

HAHAHA!!!!

Don't ask me why this comes half a year after the post...
Was googling out stuff and I somehow ended up at this particular post...

I'd have to agree with most of u donkeys... It was memorable...
I foolishly admit I joined for the wrong reasons... But i'll proudly admit that I stayed for the right ones...

Times were great...
N i was never a "poser" before Sher Reen came into the picture :P

All in all, I'd say that the SC was a gud chapter in my book...

Hope all's well...